Part 1 | God the Father Almighty
- The God of the gospel is a PERFECT FATHER
- The God of the gospel is an ALMIGHTY FATHER
- Through the gospel, the Almighty Father has become OUR FATHER
‘The generous life-giving Father has always given life to his eternal Son. Now in Christ he has given new life to redeemed sons and daughters. We enjoy by grace and adoption what the eternal Son enjoyed by nature. The perfect almighty Father truly has become our Father if we’re in Christ.’
- How important do you think it is for the gospel that God is not just ‘God in general’ but specifically the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ?
- How might Matt 28:19 and John 17:3 help us appreciate this?
Part 2 | Our Father
- We could not be more LOVED
- We could not be more CARED FOR
- We could not be more SECURE
“If you want to judge how well a person understands Christianity, find out how much he makes of the thought of being God’s child, and having God as his Father.”
– J. I. Packer
- If we’re being honest, how much do we think of ourselves as children of a Heavenly Father in day to day life? In what situations?
- Look at John 1:12-14, Gal 4:4-7. How do these passages help us understand what it means to be a Christian?
- How does 1 John 3:1-2 shape the way we should approach God and why?
- Look at Matt 6:2-33, Matt 7:9-12. How does the Fatherhood of God function in these passages? What practical difference should it make to our lives if we know that this almighty Father, truly is our Father?
- How might this affect the way we encourage and pray for one another in the ups and downs of life? What one thing would you like to pray in response to this session?