- What does it mean to be a servant leader?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMMusss_nQc (3m 45s)
In a church which is blessed by having faithful pastors who are attempting to serve under Christ in a way that honours him and builds up the body, there are many helpful ways to respond to their leadership biblically as well as to encourage them.
Note: This study assumes those who lead are serving under Christ in a way that builds up the body (albeit with their own weaknesses). If anyone in the group is experiencing or has experienced ungodly leadership, please encourage them to speak up and contact one of the following:
- Care team: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pastors: email@example.com
- Elders: Contacts for each are on church suite: John Marland, Pete Watson, Mark
Chambers, Julian Plescia, Alwin Swales, Von Sy, Stephen Hatherall, Richard Coekin,
Santhosh Thomas, Richard (Leady) Leadbeater
- Safeguarding officer: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How would you describe the leadership of Dundonald? What tone do they set for the church? What are their strengths?
Read 1 Peter 5 v 1-5
- What dangers does Peter want his readers to avoid—both elders and other members of the church?
- What is the purpose of elders and pastors seeking to lead in the way Peter instructs?
- What is the purpose of church members being “subject to the elders”?
- In what areas might people find it especially hard to submit to their elders? Have you had experiences of this kind of tension in church? What would humility, respect, and love look like in those situations?
- In what ways are your elders and pastors a good example to you? How could you follow their example?
- What does honouring look like if a pastor is behaving in an ungodly way? What might it look like to ‘shine a light’ in such a situation?
- What might encourage each of your elders and pastors this week? How could you help them keep in mind Peter’s vision for leadership? What will you pray for them?
Loving Heavenly Father, thank you for Jesus who is the perfect servant-hearted leader whose gentle and lowly heart shepherds us with kindness, care and compassion. Please would you work in the hearts of our leaders at Dundonald to make them ever more Christ-like. And please would all of us respect, love, honour and care for our leaders so that their work might be a joy, for our good and for your glory.
- Respect your pastors by being attentive to their teaching.
- Love your pastors by doing something kind for them.
- Express your thankfulness for your pastors teaching and example by offering words of encouragement to them.
- Be a joy to your pastors by doing the little things well.
- Pray for your pastors personally, with your family, and with other church members.
- Book: Love Your Church (Ch 6) by Tony Merida
- Book: The Book Your Pastor Wishes You Would Read by Christopher Ash
- Song: The Lord is My Shepherd by Stuart Townend