Starter: What comes into your mind when you hear the name Jesus Christ? What might our friends or neighbours think when his name is mentioned?
Part 1 |
- Jesus Christ is truly GOD
- Jesus Christ is truly HUMAN
- Jesus Christ truly SAVES
“At the centre of the Christian faith is not an idea or a theory or even a vision for life but the name of a person, Jesus Christ.”
- Are you familiar with the idea that the one person Jesus is both truly God and truly man?
- In our daily Christian life do we tend to emphasise either his divinity or humanity more than the other?
Part 2 |
O come let us
- ADORE him
- APPROACH him
- OBEY him
- PROCLAIM him
“How sweet the name of Jesus sounds in a believer’s ear! It soothes our sorrows, heals our wounds, and drives away our fear. It makes the wounded spirit whole and calms the troubled breast; ’tis manna to the hungry soul, and to the weary, rest.”
Read Luke 1:26-38, 2:22-32
- How do these passages show or suggest that Jesus is a) truly divine? b) truly human? c) truly Saviour?
- What signs are there that the boy Jesus has come to fulfil the OT promise of the Christ/ Messiah?
- How does thinking about the person and name of Jesus in this way make you feel? (Confused? Bored? Intrigued? Overwhelmed? Amazed?)
- How practically might we grow in our lives to
- ADORE him as God & Saviour? (Matt 2:9-11)
- APPROACH him as sympathetic high priest? (Heb 4:14-16)
- OBEY him as sovereign Lord and King? (Acts 2:36-42)
- PROCLAIM him as Saviour and Judge of the world? (Acts 4:8-20)
- How would you like to pray in response to what we’ve heard?