Starter: Do we naturally think more about Jesus’s sufferings or his glory?
Part 1 |
He CAME into our story
He SUFFERED in our place
He DIED and was BURIED
“The One who was so high, stooped so low… The second Adam came into the human story and went all the way down to the cross and to the grave.”
- In what ways do we see Jesus suffer throughout his earthly life?
- Why do you think these details in the Creed might be significant? (e.g. Pilate, crucifixion, burial)
Part 2 |
- Jesus’ sufferings give us CONFIDENCE
- our sins have been paid for
- death and the Devil have been defeated
- we have One who can help us as we suffer
- Jesus’ sufferings give us an EXAMPLE
Read Philippians 2:6-8 and 1 Peter 2:22-25
- How do these passages show us the perfect humility and obedience of the Lord Jesus?
- In our lives, how practically might Jesus’ sufferings give us CONFIDENCE in the face of
- Our sin, guilt and shame? (1 Pet 2:24-25, Rom 8:1)
- Death and the Devil? (Heb 2:14-16)
- Our own suffering? (Heb 2:17-18)
- How often do we think about Jesus’s sufferings as an EXAMPLE for us to follow? Look at 1 Pet 2:19-21. Can you see or foresee any situations in your life where this example might be especially relevant?
- What one thing do you want to take away from this section of the Creed?
- How would you like to PRAY in response to what we’ve heard?